KEVIN FERGUSON / EXOTIC EXTREMES:
GYPSY, BALKAN & MID-EAST TUNES
ON ELECTRIC GUITAR
This is the second CD (released October, 2000) by electric guitarist, Kevin Ferguson
(See below for
ordering & downloading information,
how to get on the
sheet music transcriptions).
NEW AUDIO SAMPLES BELOW:
Last updated November 18, 2008
Ferguson's second CD release, "EXOTIC EXTREMES," includes fiery
traditional tunes from gypsies and others from lands of the former
Ottoman Empire (the Balkans and Middle East) transcribed for and
performed on a electric guitar. As with his first CD, "STRAT TO STRAT,"
classical violin music performed on electric guitar,
the transcriptions are true to the melodies,
ornamentation, phrasing, etc. For a last few years around the time of this CD's release, Kevin had
performed the music on this CD with the ensemble "Teshkoto," which
consisted of Chris Golthorpe on bass, Craig Carney on drums and Michael
Beach (Brothers of The Baladi) on native percussion (tapan, dumbek,
The time signatures follow the origin of the track titles listed
The odd time signatures (for example 11/16, 7/8, 7/16, etc.) are
a result of following the rhythm of corresponding folk dances.
- 1) Revisko Oro (Macedonia, trad.: 11/16) 1:49
- 2) Romanijada (Macedonia, trad.: 4/4) 5:47
- 3) Gazaira (Egypt, trad.: 4/4) 3:56
- 4) Triti Puti (Bulgaria, trad.: 2/4) 2:13
- 5) Diachovo Oro (Bulgaria, trad.: 9/16) 3:40
- 6) Balkan Melody (Balkans, trad.: 2/4) 3:49
- 7) Olimpijski Chochek (Macedonia, trad.: 9/16) 3:18
- 8) Gabrovska Rachenica (Bulgaria, trad.: 7/16) 3:51
- 9) Osogovsko Oro (Macedonia, trad.: 11/16) 3:08
- 10) Bistrica Kopanica (Bulgaria, trad.: 11/16) 4:20
- 11) Sitno (Bulgaria, trad.: 3/4 on 6/8) 2:56
- 12) Kukunjesce Kolo (Serbia/Rumania, trad.: 2/4) 3:13
- 13) Shopska Rachenica (Bulgaria, trad.: 7/16) 1:51
- 14) Teshkoto (Macedonia, trad.: 4/4, 7/8) 5:38
- 15) Debka Druz (Israel/Syria/Lebanon, trad.: 4/4) 2:27
- 16) Shatty Ya Denny (Middle East, trad.: 4/4) 3:18
The above traditional dance and folk music was arranged for and
performed on electric and acoustic guitars (Kevin Ferguson), bass
(Chris Goldthorpe) and native percussion & other instruments.
Arrangements by: Kevin Ferguson or Kevin Ferguson & Chris
Produced by: Kevin Ferguson
- Many more including:
Intent Media Works,
All About Jazz,
Liquid Digital Media,
Mix And Burn,
CD BABY! (http://www.cdbaby.com/kevinferguson2).
- Call Timbuktunes (Portland, Oregon, USA): 1-503-239-0179
4726 SE Hawthorne Boulevard • Portland, Oregon USA 97215 •
To get on the email mailing list for performances and recording
releases, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here for
performance dates of steel string guitar arrangements of music from around the world.
plays a mix of progressive world music including modern versions of Balkan, Mid-Eastern, Indian and other world music as well as electric guitar versions of classical violin and a wide mix of original music in other genres.
Sheet Music Transcriptions For Electric Guitar
for sheet music transcriptions.
Back to Debone Music's Home Page
OTHER SLIGHTLY RELATED URL's
Kevin Ferguson's Home Page
- CD 7 (just released in Nov, 2008):
STRAD TO STRAT II: Electric Vivaldi:
Antonio Vivaldi's violin concertos (Harmonic Inspiration & La Stravaganza) performed on electric guitars.
DeBone Music's Catalog including other CD's by Kevin Ferguson.
Violin music (Bach, Paganini, more) on electric guitar: STRAD TO
STRAT, Kevin's first CD.
Progressive world, classical, neoclassical and other original tunes on electric and acoustic guitars:
SUBTLE HINT, Kevin's third CD.
An original fusion of energetic and adventurous rock, world, classical and other genres on electric and acoustic guitars:
RESTLESS RECKLESS AND WILD, Kevin's forth and latest CD.
- CD 5:
Piano Concerto, Symphony & Sonata Just released (April 22, 2008)! All original classical genre compositions.
- CD 6:
Balkan & Beyond/Live At Costello's Just released (April 28, 2008)! Balkan, Near and Middle Eastern dance music on acoustic guitar and percussion.
- CD 8 (released in Nov, 2008):
Musical rendering of mega-self-similarity.
- How To Learn To Play
Music Of Unusual Genres , Ferguson's column for Guitar Nine.
- Mastering Odd, Complex Time Signatures And Rhythms, Updated and
Contribution to a Deep Purple Tribute: Woman from Tokoyo + Saint
Saens' Samson and Delilah/Bacconale = Woman from Gaza
Approach To Learning And Teaching Guitar
- Kevin's Interview with
"Guitar Nine" interviewed Kevin (Feb. '97 Issue).
Equipment Kevin Uses
World Music with many links and audio samples.
- Folk (sheet) music of The World: Richard's Tunebook listed by Country & Type.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Heavy Guitar Tabs
" - Only hosting high quality tabs for heavy bands"
- TabHeaven "is the place to find all kinds of tabs for popular
Guitar Tab Sites"We review all our links to provide you with
the very best guitar and music sites available."
- The MIT List of Radio Stations on the Internet
- The 'Ever Expanding Web Music Listing!'
- PROGRESSIVE METAL PAGE
- List of Guitar Societies in U.S.
- The Flamenco Guitar Home Page
- The Portland Guitar Society
- Guitar playing (Lots of Tab, misc.)
- The Classical Guitar Home Page
- NW Music (Music of Oregon, Washington, Idaho)
- Guitar Player Magazine via goper
- Guitar Player Magazine Archive: World Music on Guitar
- Vintage Guitar® magazine