KEVIN FERGUSON / EXOTIC EXTREMES:
GYPSY, BALKAN & MID-EAST TUNES
ON ELECTRIC GUITAR
This is the second CD (released October, 2000) by electric guitarist, Kevin Ferguson
(See below for
ordering & downloading information,
how to get on the
sheet music transcriptions).
NEW AUDIO SAMPLES BELOW:
Last updated August 3, 2019
Ferguson's second CD release, "EXOTIC EXTREMES," includes fiery
traditional tunes from gypsies and others from lands of the former
Ottoman Empire (the Balkans and Middle East) transcribed for and
performed on a electric guitar. As with his first CD, "STRAT TO STRAT,"
classical violin music performed on electric guitar,
the transcriptions are true to the melodies,
ornamentation, phrasing, etc. For a last few years around the time of this CD's release, Kevin had
performed the music on this CD with the ensemble "Teshkoto," which
consisted of Chris Golthorpe on bass, Craig Carney on drums and Michael
Beach (Brothers of The Baladi) on native percussion (tapan, dumbek,
- Available now, Listen: CD, streaming, MP3 download, samples:
- CD Baby
- Apple Music + Apple iTunes
- Google Play Music/Google Music Store
- Youtube Music
- Slacker Radio
- Also distributed via 24-7, 7digital,8tracks,Akazoo,Anghami,AWA,,
iMusica,InProdicon,KDigital,Kuack,Line Music,MediaNet,NetEase Cloud Music,
Qobuz,Saavn,Shazam,SoundExchange,United Media Agency (UMA)
The time signatures follow the origin of the track titles listed
The odd time signatures (for example 11/16, 7/8, 7/16, etc.) are
a result of following the rhythm of corresponding folk dances.
- 1) Revisko Oro (Macedonia, trad.: 11/16) 1:49
- 2) Romanijada (Macedonia, trad.: 4/4) 5:47
- 3) Gazaira (Egypt, trad.: 4/4) 3:56
- 4) Triti Puti (Bulgaria, trad.: 2/4) 2:13
- 5) Diachovo Oro (Bulgaria, trad.: 9/16) 3:40
- 6) Balkan Melody (Balkans, trad.: 2/4) 3:49
- 7) Olimpijski Chochek (Macedonia, trad.: 9/16) 3:18
- 8) Gabrovska Rachenica (Bulgaria, trad.: 7/16) 3:51
- 9) Osogovsko Oro (Macedonia, trad.: 11/16) 3:08
- 10) Bistrica Kopanica (Bulgaria, trad.: 11/16) 4:20
- 11) Sitno (Bulgaria, trad.: 3/4 on 6/8) 2:56
- 12) Kukunjesce Kolo (Serbia/Rumania, trad.: 2/4) 3:13
- 13) Shopska Rachenica (Bulgaria, trad.: 7/16) 1:51
- 14) Teshkoto (Macedonia, trad.: 4/4, 7/8) 5:38
- 15) Debka Druz (Israel/Syria/Lebanon, trad.: 4/4) 2:27
- 16) Shatty Ya Denny (Middle East, trad.: 4/4) 3:18
The above traditional dance and folk music was arranged for and
performed on electric and acoustic guitars (Kevin Ferguson), bass
(Chris Goldthorpe) and native percussion & other instruments.
Arrangements by: Kevin Ferguson or Kevin Ferguson & Chris
Produced by: Kevin Ferguson
- "I loved it. I was amazed at (Ferguson's) technique" -- Tim Rice,
Ethnomusicology Dept. Chair UCLA & author of "May It Fill Your Soul," Bulgarian Music
"Ferguson is up to the dizzying...speed standard...Exotic Extremes is a lot of fun and an interesting foray into the Alterno-Balkan world."
- Judith Gennett, Green Man Review
"With this CD, Ferguson has reached new musical peaks."
-- Vtozos, Guitar Nine Word of Mouth
"Exotic Extremes is a lively, colorful musical rendezvous for World Beat fans and guitar enthusiasts alike."
-- Robert Silverstein, MWE3.com
"Exotic Extremes is FANTASTIC", Ken Rubenstein, Musician.
"Excellent and creative"
-- Biljana Milkovska, Macedonian
CD BABY! (http://www.cdbaby.com/kevinferguson2).
To get on the email mailing list for performances and recording
releases, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here for
performance dates of steel string guitar arrangements of music from around the world.
plays a mix of progressive world music including modern versions of Balkan, Mid-Eastern, Indian and other world music as well as electric guitar versions of classical violin and a wide mix of original music in other genres.
Back to Debone Music's Home Page
OTHER SLIGHTLY RELATED URL's
Kevin Ferguson's Home Page
- *NEW!: CD 9:
BEAUTY IN YOUR HEAD: (2019)
Ecstatic dance compatible fluid mix of world, EDM, pop, rock, experimental, psychedelic, other.
- CD 8:
Pure Fractals: (2008)
Musical rendering of mega-self-similarity. A mind tickler.
- CD 7:
STRAD TO STRAT II: Electric Vivaldi: (2008)
Antonio Vivaldi's violin concertos (Harmonic Inspiration & La Stravaganza) performed on electric guitars.
- CD 6:
Balkan & Beyond/Live At Costello's: (2008) Balkan, Near and Middle Eastern dance music on acoustic guitar and percussion.
- CD 5:
Piano Concerto, Symphony & Sonata: (2008) All original classical genre compositions.
- CD 4:
RESTLESS RECKLESS & WILD: (2007)
A wide fusion of hard rock, punk, progressive, classical, world
(Balkan, Hindustani classical rag, etc.) and original music.
- CD 3:
SUBTLE HINT: (2006)
Progressive World, a wild genre mix including electric & acoustic guitar arrangements of classical, world
(Balkan, Hindustani classical rag, etc.) and original jazz, rock and other music.
- CD 2:
EXOTIC EXTREMES: (2000) Another first of its kind, again influencing many western musicians to study and perform more complex rhythms and exotic scales:
Gypsy, Balkan and Middle Eastern Music on other world music on electric & acoustic guitars.
- CD 1:
STRAD TO STRAT: (1995) First of its kind, sparking countless imitations around the globe:
Bach, Paganini, Vivaldi and other classical violin music performed on electric guitar.